[Advaita-l] events during Pitru Paksha

Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Tue Sep 23 01:17:57 CDT 2014

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014, Ravi Chandrasekhara wrote:

> Pranam,
> Jaldhar ane Sujal, tamArun uttar mAte abhAr/dhanyavAd.
>
> I have another question . For those whose parents are alive, outside of
> nitya karmas, are there any special rituals for a BrAhmaNA gruhastha
> male during pitru paksh?

Not really.  It is considered meritorious for everyone to read the Garuda
Purana which has a lengthy section called Preta Kalpa which deals with
the afterlife.  During the 19th century a vidwan named Pandit
Navanidhirama created an epitome of the G.P. called
Garudapuranasaroddhara.  It was translated into English (albeit by
Thesophists.  Take it with a pinch of salt.) and you can see
find it online here:  http://sacred-texts.com/hin/gpu/gpu01.htm