[Advaita-l] events during Pitru Paksha

Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Wed Sep 24 01:32:38 CDT 2014

Namaste

On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 8:46 PM, Ravi Chandrasekhara via Advaita-l <

> Pranam,
> Jaldhar ane Sujal, tamArun uttar mAte abhAr/dhanyavAd.
>
> I have another question . For those whose parents are alive, outside of
> nitya karmas, are there any special rituals for a BrAhmaNA gruhastha male
> during pitru paksh?

Yes there is one Sraddha you must do when the father is alive and when
Maternal Grand Father is not alive. It is Mata Maha Sraddha. It is done on
the day after Mahalaya Amavasya. Many people are not doing it because they
are ignorant. But it is important because Mother has given you all good
things in life. Just like we must honour Mother we should also honour the
Maternal Grand Father because he gave birth to your Mother.

If you want to do this kindly consult a knowledgeable Purohit in your area
and get it done.

> Ravi Chandrasekhara
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Sep 20, 2014, at 2:51, Sujal Upadhyay via Advaita-l <
> >
> > I would like to add that reformers have taken somethings from us, but in
> > return they have not given a replacement. If something is wrong, then
> > abonden it, but please give us what is right. It cannot be free culture
> and
> > letting your mind loose.
> >
> > OM
> >

> >> On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 1:19 PM, Sujal Upadhyay <sujal.u at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I agree :)
> >>
> >> Western influence has had a great impacts on our mind. Unless we show
> that
> >> our system and culture is superior then their then only people will
> accept
> >> them gracefully.
> >>
> >> Incidents like moral policing, beating up couples hugging in public will
> >> not make them accept our culture. It is right thing done in wrong way.
> This
> >> incidence has negative impact. Teaching culture has to be done from
> >> grassroot level, from nursery and kg classes. This is not an easy task.

> convenience.
> No
> or
> With