[Advaita-l] No non- advaita schools before Shankara

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 3 01:29:48 CDT 2015

Namaste,
Bodhayana Vrtti reportedly seen by the Great Ramanujacharya alone (or was he accompanied by a disciple of his at that time ?) must be a myth like the Brahmatarka reportedly seen  by the Great Madhvacharya alone.
Regards,SKB

     On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 9:43 PM, Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

 Namaste
On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 4:58 PM, subhanu via Advaita-l <

> V Subramanian wrote:
>
> "This shows that prior to Shankara there were no vedantic schools that
> were non-advaitic"

Now the Visistadvaitis will stand up and object to this.

भगवद् बोधायनकृतां विस्तीर्णां ब्रह्मसूत्रवृत्तिं पूर्वाचार्याः संचिक्षिपुः
तन्मतानुसारेण सूत्राक्षराणि व्याख्यास्यन्ते ।

Because in the opening statement itself the Sri Bhashyakaara Raamaanuja has
said he is following the very big book Brahma Sutra Vrutti written by
Bodhayana. That Bodhayana Vrutti was condensed by other Acharyas and
Raamaanuja is following that and writing his Sri Bhashya on the Brahma
Sutras.

Bodhayana Vrutti was not available to Raamaanuja. It was lost but some
other condensed books were available. But Bodhayana was not Advaiti. He was
closer to Raamaanuja. He did not accept Maayaa theory. He accepted Parinama
Vada saying Brahman is transformed to world.

What do you say to this?

> Namaste to all. I changed the heading of the thread.  You may be aware of
> the following verse near the end of Srimad Bhāgavatam also which many
> scholars date post Shankara:
> Sarva-vedānta-sāram yat
> Brahmātmaikatva-lakshanam ।
> Vastv-advitīyam tan nishtham
> Kaivalyaka prayojanam ।।
> (Srimad Bhāgavatam 12.13.12)
> We see in such a grantha of Bhakti yoga the above statement that the
> Bhāgavatam is the essence of all vedanta explaining the unity of brahman
> and ātman, and that the final teaching is non-dual.
> If you take Bhāgavatam as written before Shankara then it supports
> Shankara's bhashya statement also.
> Regards
> Subhanu

-Venkatesh