[Advaita-l] Introduction and important question on saguna brahman devatas

Nithin Sridhar sridhar.nithin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 13:40:25 CDT 2015

The answer to the question, whether the various deities that are not
mentioned in various canonical texts that you call as demi-gods will lead
to Moksha or not, depends on various factors.

1. A deity should be understood only with connection to devotee. Some
people may worship Ganesha as only a god who can remove obstacles. Hence,
for them, Ganesha's ability or the ability of the shakti generated from
such a sadhana is limited to removing obstacles. Some may worship Ganesha
as lord of Muladhara chakra. For, then Ganesha presides over whole Physical
Universe. And for some Ganesha is Brahman itself. Such, an upasana
ultimately will lead to Moksha. Hence, whether a deity will lead to Moksha
or not depends mostly on how a devotee perceives and worships the deity.

2. The other aspect of this is that, Shakti is infinite. And hence it has
infinite forms. Irrespective of the devotees, Deities do exist in their
archtypes. The rishis of various mantras only brought forward these
archtype deities that were already existing. Hence, even the hundreds of
Gramadevata, Sudhra devata, or any other deities do exist in their archtype
form, whether one worships them or not. Many upasana's performed in the
hoary past is not available to us today. Similarly some new type of
Upasana's, new variant of deities have also been discovered. Hence, all
these deities are invariably various aspects of the one Shakti and they
eternally exist in their archtypes. Some deities come higher in the
hierarchy and some lower based on their individual archtype. When Shakti is
understood as containing 64 aspects, each aspect becomes a Yogini. When
Shakti is understood as containing 10 aspects, each becomes a Mahavidya.
So, Naturally a Mahavidya is higher than a Yogini.

3. Hence, if a person worships any of the deities in their limited aspect,
then the result is also limited. If, a person worships the deity as
Para-Brahman itself, the result attained is Moksha.

You may find this old article of mine useful-
A deity can be God or god or both-
https://nithinsridhar.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/a-deity-can-either-be-god-or-god-or-both/

Regards,
Nithin

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 8:18 PM, k.s.krishna moorthy via Advaita-l <