[Advaita-l] asti bhAti priyaM in Drg-drsya viveka

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 23:48:22 CDT 2015

advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>:

> Hari Om,
>
> Namaste.
>
> अस्ति भाति प्रियं रुपं नम*चेत्यंसपंचकम्     अंशपञ्चकम् *

> आद्यत्रयं ब्रह्म रुपं जगद् रुपं ततो द्वयम्
> (ड्र्ग्-द्र्स्य विवेक)
>
> asti bhAti priyaM rupaM nama chetyaMsa paMchakam
> AdyatrayaM brahma rupaM jagad rupaM tato dvayam
> (Drg-drsya viveka)
>

> We know that chaitanyaM (चैतन्यं ) is not  indriya grAhya (इन्द्रिय
> ग्राह्य).

Then how does bhAti (in the verse) is explained?

It is the 'shine' that is there in every object which is revealed by its
becoming an object of knowledge for me. Asti gives the mere 'existence'.
Bhāti is its becoming an object for my consciousness.  'Ghaṭo'sti, ghaṭaḥ
sphurati' brings out the difference between existence and shine.  In Satyam
Jnanam Anantam Brahma, the first is asti and the second is bhāti.

regards
vs