[Advaita-l] asti bhAti priyaM in Drg-drsya viveka

balagopal ramakrishnan rbalpal at yahoo.co.in
Mon Aug 17 08:07:35 CDT 2015

Namaste Durga Prasad Ji,
>>>We know that chaitanyaM (चैतन्यं ) is not  indriya grAhya (इन्द्रिय ग्राह्य).

Then how does bhAti (in the verse) is explained?
'Chaitanyam' being the 'eye' of the 'eye' can never be 'seen'. It's the subject and never the object.
Now the 'bhaati' in the verse is explained as:
The verse you have referred is explaining the resolution of the confusions created by the external aavarana sakthi. The verse just explains the  5 factors that's involved in the perception of the world. The first 'asti' is the basic, the adhishtanam, the existence. The moment we speak of existence, then automatically the 'consciousness' is present. That is the 'bhaathi'. Without being 'conscious' of a thing we cannot speak of its existence.
The above 2 forms the 'sat and chit'. The 3rd, 'priyam', brings the 'aanandam'. That much is 'brahman' and the rest 2, the naama and rupa, are of mAya, the aavaraNam.
Hope it's useful.
Regards
Balagopal