[Advaita-l] Theory of Language: Mimamsa, Advaita and Vyakarana - 2 of 3

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 11 05:56:50 CST 2015

Namaste.
The PUrvapakshin is not saying that the translation is wrong, he is saying that the sUtra itself has to be wrong, as on the one hand the MImAMsaka says that "dadhi" and "dadhy" are different Sabdas, whereas the sUtra is saying that "dadhy" is a form obtained by replacing the "i" in "dadhi" by "y".
Of course you are right that in the view of the VaiyAkaraNa, AdeSa operates upon the entire word, not just one letter. In the bhAshya under dAdhAghvadAp 1.1.20, Patanjali shows that not merely AdeSa, but even Agama operates through AdeSa in place of the entire word:
सर्वे सर्वपदादेशा दाक्षीपुत्रस्य पाणिनेः। एकदेशविकारे हिनित्यत्वं नोपपद्यते ॥In the opinion of PANini, the son of DAkshI, all (i.e. Agamas, AdeSas etc.) are the AdeSas of whole words, for if there is change in one place then Sabdanityatva is not possible.
The MimAMsaka answers the objector by interpreting the sUtra as a niyama rather than a plain vidhi. The VaiyAkaraNa's resolution is to remind that all substitutions are conceptual or mental and not real, and that all grammatical operations are to be understood as happening through the device of substitution of whole words.
RegardsN. Siva Senani