[Advaita-l] Grammatical question about Mundaka 2.1.1 bhashyam

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 00:37:48 CST 2015

 Namaste

I agree with you it is Bahuvrihi. Like महाधनम् is stand alone
Napumsaka Linga because Dhana is Napumsaka. It means a lot of wealth.
But when we say महाधनः पुरुषः  here Mahaadhana is adjective for
Purusha. Mahadhana must also become Pullinga. It means a Man having a
lot of wealth. When we say महाधना नारी the adjective is for Naaree in
Stri Linga. The adjective Mahadhana must also become Strilinga only.
It becomes Mahadhanaa Naaree. It means a Woman having a lot of wealth.

> तदेतत्सत्यं मन्त्रेषु कर्माणि कवयो यान्यपश्यंस्तानि त्रेतायां बहुधा संततानि
>> तान्याचरथ नियतं सत्यकामा एष वः पन्थाः सुकृतस्य लोके ॥ १ ॥  1.2.1
>
> Here occurs the word तदेतत्सत्यं, which also occurs again in 2.2.1. The
> distinction between the two 'satyam' words in the 1.2.1 and 2.2.1 has to be
> brought out.  In 1.2.1, the meaning of the word 'satyam' is explained in the
> bhāṣyam thus, with a prelude:
>
> अतः परमनयोर्विद्ययोर्विषयौ विवेक्तव्यौ संसारमोक्षावित्युत्तरो ग्रन्थ आरभ्यते
>> Henceforth, the subject matter, viṣaya, of the two vidyās, aparā and parā,
> have to be clearly set forth.  What are those subject matters of the two
> vidyā-s? They are: samsāra for aparavidyā and mokṣa for paravidyā. So, the
> bhāsyam itself gives the vigraha vākyam here:
> तत्रापरविद्याविषयः कर्त्रादिसाधनक्रियाफलभेदरूपः संसारोऽनादिरनन्तो
> दुःखस्वरूपत्वाद्धातव्यः प्रत्येकं शरीरिभिः सामस्त्येन
> नदीस्रोतोवदविच्छेदरूपसम्बन्धः तदुपशमलक्षणो मोक्षः
> परविद्याविषयोऽनाद्यनन्तोऽजरोऽमरोऽमृतोऽभयः शुद्धः प्रसन्नः
> स्वात्मप्रतिष्ठालक्षणः परमानन्दोऽद्वय इति । पूर्वं तावदपरविद्याया
> विषयप्रदर्शनार्थमारम्भः ।
> From the above we can see that the compound is ṣaṣṭhī tatpuruṣa, in both the
> cases. Shankara uses the compound as well as gives the vigraha vākyam for
> both the cases of para and apara. He gave the vigraha for both the
> compounds, in dvivachana: anayoḥ vidyayoḥ viṣayau. Then he uses the compound
> singly: aparavidyāviṣaya and paravidyāviṣayaḥ.  In both these cases the
> vidheya are in masculine: aparavidyāviṣaya is samsāra (masculine) and
> paravidyāviṣaya is mokṣa (masculine). Hence there is no problem here with
> the gender of the word 'viṣaya.' So, no problem here.
>
> Now coming to the 2.2.1 bhāṣya, I think there is the possibility of there
> being a bahuvrīhi which is strongly indicated by the other word there:
> कर्मफललक्षणम् .
> This is the bhāṣya vākyam:
> यदपरविद्याविषयं कर्मफललक्षणम्, सत्यं तदापेक्षिकम् ।
> Here,
> कर्मणः फलं कर्मफलम् [षष्ठीतत्पुरुषसमासः] कर्मफलं (एव) लक्षणं यस्य (सत्यस्य)
> तत् सत्यम्  कर्मफललक्षणम् । I think there is no other way of explaining this
> कर्मफललक्षणम् than by a bahurvrīhi.  Since this word is used as an adjective
> to 'satyam' (viśeṣaṇa), the other word there too यदपरविद्याविषयं has to be
> an adjective. I think what applies to the second adjective applies to the
> first too:
> अपरविद्यायाः विषयं अपरविद्याविषयम् (षष्ठीतत्पुरुष). अपरविद्याविषयं यत् तत्
> (सत्यम्) अपरविद्याविषयम् सत्यम् । Here, the compound word, as a bahuvrīhi,
> is serving as an adjective to the word satyam, in the prathamāvibhakti.
> There is nothing wrong in a bahuvrīhi being in the prathamāvibhakti. For
> example वीरपुरुषः रामः . वीरश्च असौ पुरुषश्च वीरपुरुषः
> [विशेषणपूर्वपदकर्मधारयः]. This adjective,  no doubt a compound, qualifies
> Rāma.  वीरपुरुषः (अयं) रामः or वीरपुरुषः यः स रामः . In such a case this
> [...]

-Venkatesh