[Advaita-l] Permanence of the self

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 07:18:48 CST 2015

Dear all,
First of all, thanks a lot for taking the time to provide your comments in
this debate. Just a few initial responses:

Sri Murali HR: "Do nothing."
Venkat: Perhaps you mean this exercise is futile and hence not doing
anything is better than otherwise? If so, maybe, but sometimes an exercise
in futility may produce unexpected results that still have value (in this
case, this very email chain has afforded me a better understanding). But I
understand the sentiment, thanks.

Sri Subbu:"Shankara has grouped Bauddha along with others and called them
dvaitins. Check the archives of this forum to get the exact reference from
the Gaudapada karika bhahsya."
Venkat: Thank you sir. I will certainly do so.

Sri Vidyasankar:" By this logic, non-cognizability is posited as a
necessary attribute of true
independent existence and then the same non-cognizability is used to
argue for non-existence."
Venkat: Thanks for articulating it so well! There is certainly circularity
in this chain of logic - "Existence requires cognisance. Cognisance implies
change. Change implies non-existence."   The first leg of that chain - that
existence requires cognizance to prove its existence is the weakest leg of
his argument, in my opinion. The problem with the second leg is whether
cognisance implies change in the cognising agent - so, even if one were to
argue that Brahman's existence is self-evident, can we say that Brahman
knows it *exists*? If so does it change by mere fact of its knowledge?

Sri Venkatesh Murthy: "If 'nothing exists' means 'nothing exists
independently' it means 'everything is dependent on something'. But this
Dualism only."
Venkat: Its dualism, but probably qualified - in the sense that nothing
exists in and as of itself, but only in relation to something else, which
also does not exist in and as of itself. In terms of classification, one
may call it dualist, or nihilist.

Sri Krishnamoorthy: "If everything ends in shunyatha- I mean emptiness or
nothingness-then why should one live at all?"
Venkat: I think you have hit on an important conclusion from Buddhism (or
at least my understanding of it, based on what my boss/friend says) - there
is no ultimate reality, no conventional reality, no path, no seeker and
nothing to be known. Its precisely because when faced with that, people
naturally tend to ask why should one bother to live at all, that nirvana as
a goal and sadhana as a means to achieve it are taught in the Buddhist
tradition - but if one were to actually walk that path, they do believe
there is no ultimate reality.

Sri HS Chandramouli: "For such an entity there need not be any action needed
to enable it. Just its presence itself could enable it. The nearest
illustration
is that of the Sun. In the absence of sunlight no visual cognition occurs.
The presence of the Sun enables such cognition without any action by the
Sun."
Venkat: First of all, thanks very much for your detailed mail - it was
certainly helpful to me and therefore no need to apologise. I think the
concept that my friend fails to appreciate is one of "self-evidence", that
is if some thing "is", you do not need anything else to prove it "is".

Sri Balagopal: "Swami Paramarthananda Ji says that one has to sharpen one's
intellect to at least begin understanding vedanta (advaita). How else the
'eye' can see the 'eye' itself* !!. If one refuses to step up from one's
manda budhi (will happen only if one is willing to study vedant
'sampradayically') god alone can save him ! They will never understand and
you will have either more whiter hair or the existing ones will begin to
fall !! Because after a stage it becomes a futile discussion instead of
fertile."
Venkat: Thanks sir. I completely understand and am quite wary about this -
which is why I will not indulge in this debate for too long, but for the
moment, the discussion is certainly helping me crystallise my thought
process.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments.

Regards,
Venkat