[Advaita-l] Atharvavediya Narayana suktam

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 00:34:22 CST 2015

Dear friends,

There was a typo in the mail Please read the word "precide" as "preside". Kindly excuse me for this slip.
REgards,Sunil KB

     On Saturday, February 21, 2015 12:27 PM, Sunil Bhattacharjya via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

 Namaste friends,

What I understand is that there was a time when the brahmins were used to the Vedatrayee and were unsure about the status of the Atharva revelations. At this stage the Atharvana rishi prayed to Lord Shiva and the Lord assured the vedic status of the Atharva veda.

Probably because of this the Atharva priest consequently became the higher priest (Brahma-priest) and used to precide over the priests of the Vedatrayee. It is quite possible that  because of this assumed higher staus by the Atharvavediya brahmns they declined to give  their daughters in marriage to the other vedic brahmins, considering that to be pratiloma. This assumed superiority could have eventually backfired and the other brahmins refused to give their daughters in marriage to the Atharva-vedic brahmns.
I shall welcome hearing your views on this.
Regards,Sunil KB