[Advaita-l] Request for translation

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 22:31:30 CST 2015

advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>:

>  Dear friends,
> May I request the Sanskrit scholars to help me with the translation of the
> following verse from the Rajatarangini. The relevant page is also attached:
>
> तत्रानेहस्युज्जयिन्यां श्रीमान् हर्षापराभिघः ।
> एकच्छत्रश्चक्रवर्त्ती विक्रमादित्य इत्यभूत् ॥ 125 ||

The splitting of words is thus:

तत्र अनेहसि उज्जयिन्यां श्रीमान् हर्ष + अपर + अभिधः
एकच्छत्रः चक्रवर्ती विक्रमादियः इति अभूत्

The meanings:

तत्र there अनेहसि unrivaled उज्जयिन्यां in ujjaiyin'i श्रीमान् venerable
हर्ष + अपर + अभिधः with another name called 'harṣa'
एकच्छत्रः One suzeranity चक्रवर्ती Emperor  विक्रमादियः Vikramāditya इति
thus named अभूत् lived/existed.

For the word अनेहसि in the locative, you have a choice of meanings from:
http://www.spokensanskrit.de/index.php?tinput=anehas&direction=SE&link=yes&choice=yes
<http://www.spokensanskrit.de/index.php?tinput=anehas&direction=SE&link=yes&choice=yes>

For एकच्छत्रः the meaning is here:

http://www.spokensanskrit.de/index.php?tinput=ekacchattra&script=&direction=SE&link=yes

regards
subrahmanian.v

There, in the invincible Ujjaiyini lived an Emperor Vikramāditya also known
as Harsha.