[Advaita-l] Query on size of yagnopavItaM

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 22:13:49 CDT 2015

Namaste

There is one more blog with Yajnopavita information
http://bhargavasarma.blogspot.in/2009/06/yagnopaveetham-paramam-pavithram.html

He says the thread must be spun by Brahmin virgin girl but Brahmin
himself must prepare Yajnopavita with Mantras. The size must be 96
breadths of his four fingers.

I also have one question. Some old people I have seen will tie a key
to the Yajnopavita. The key may be a very important key like the key
to a saf
e with money and gold and property documents. This is not correct
according to Sastras but how to tell them to stop the practice?

There is one more problem. When you you join a company job and go to
medical exam with chest X-ray the doctor will ask you to remove
Yajnopavita. I did not remove but tied it to waist when he was taking
X-ray. Is this correct?

One more problem. When you are having a hair cut in a barber shop he
may accidentally touch it. Then what to do? Should we change the
Yajnopavita or bath is sufficient?

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 2:16 AM, Vidyasankar Sundaresan via Advaita-l
<advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
> To my knowledge, in the Tamil, Telugu and Kannada speaking regions, there is no variation in yajnopavIta size depending on vedaSAkhA. I'm not sure about the Nambudiris, who have Rk, sAma and yajurvedins among them. If these distinctions are ancient and if they were originally meant to be strictly adhered to in practice, then Kerala is possibly the only place in south India where they might be preserved.
> Vidyasankar
>
>> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 22:54:51 +0530
>> To: advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
>> Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Query on size of yagnopavItaM
>> From: advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
>>
>> SrI mAtre namaH
>>
>> Namaste Venkatesha Ji ,
>>
>>  I agrwe we don't know who has prepared yagnopavIta that we are purchasing. Actually a brahman has to prepare it himself . Today It self I called an old shuka yajurveda vidvAna , who know how to make it by yourself may be on Saturday or Sunday I will approach him and learn it . If it will be possible I will record video / pictures of every step and put it on my  blog for others. He told me it is not a difficult task by practicing 10-15 times we can make it ourselves. Method he initially told me is different from south , here hands and right knee is used. Following are some more links on how to make sacred thread by self  .
>>
>> 1) http://www.salagram.net/Brahmin-threads.html
>>
>> 2) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AG4aMQmTTmc
>>
>> 3) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sluDx9wB8F8
>>
>> Regards