[Advaita-l] what is in the name?

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 25 00:48:27 CDT 2015

Namaste,

When the guru initiates a disciple to sanyasa he gives a new name to the disciple for his new life (initiation is considered a new birth). It is evident that Shri Govinda Bhagavadpada found that his disciple had the name of none other than Lord Shiva and no other name can be more appropriate than that for his this disciple. That I think could be the reason why Adi Shankara's name was not changed after initiation to Sannyasa.
Regards,Sunil KB