[Advaita-l] Difficulty with Akhandakara Vrtti

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 00:46:06 CDT 2015

Dear Sri Anand
That was a fantastic post - really enjoyed reading it.

I had a question 're your statement below, I would greatly appreciate if
you can clarify:

>>The advaitin is unwilling to accept even the simple identity
relation (tAdAtmya) in a nirvikalpaka cognition, as the laghuchandrikA
states

Could you please help me better understand the intended difference between
the terms tAdAtmya and svarUpa abheda?

For example, in the sentence "This is that Devadatta" I understand that the
terms "this person" and "that Devadatta", when the contradicting attributes
between the two are removed, are fundamentally non different. Therefore is
A) svarUpa bheda the non difference of the substratum, the
contradicting-feature-removed Devadatta, that is common to the terms "this"
and "that" in the sentence; and
B) tAdAtmya is the "simple identity before the apparent differences are
resolved" between the terms "this" and "that" - i.e there are many common
features, implying identity, but there are certain differences in the
unresolved "this" and "that"?

A clarification would be most helpful.

Thanks,
Venkatraghavan
On 19 Jun 2015 18:37, "Anand Hudli via Advaita-l" <