[Advaita-l] Brahman and Avidya - mutually exclusive?

Aurobind Padiyath aurobind.padiyath at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 09:40:11 CDT 2015

Sri Venkatraghavanji,

When you say
" mAyA cannot be destroyed because it does not exist fundamentally.  That
does not mean that experience of mAyA doesn't exist. mAyA and its effects
are experienced by gyAnI also, but he knows that a) mAyA does not exist and
b) He, the Brahman, is not the one apparently experiencing the effects of
mAyA. In deep sleep he doesn't experience mAyA, but it does not mean that
the kArANa sharIra is destroyed."

Do you say that mAyA which has no fundamental existence has a location in
Brahman? mAyA is like the X introduced in a mathematical equation to know
the Unknown.  So it has to have location only where the unknown need to be
located. But when the unknown is the only One and all pervading, then?
That's why it becomes mystical in expressions.
Regards,

Aurobind Padiyath