[Advaita-l] Shortest Sentence in English is a Mahaa Vaakya?

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Mar 26 01:41:44 CDT 2015

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015, Srivathsa Rao via Advaita-l wrote:

>              My question is when we say brahma jgnana is "swayam
> prakaasha",which means one without any knowlege can understand it ,like a
> small child without any knowledge can fell and understand the presence of
> sun.....

The sun is a good example. Someone may think it rises from the eastern
ocean and sets in the west.  One who has studied astronomy knows that this
is an illusion and really it is the Earth moving around the Sun.  Has the
sun changed?  Or only the perspective of the observer?

> So,my question is when brahman is swayam prakaasha...what is the need to
> become sanyasi or reach guru...to get brahma jgnana?

Brahman is always there but our perspectives on it are warped to a greater
or lesser degree by identification with ahamkar.  When one takes sannyasa
it doesn't mean danda, kamandalu etc. it means completely destroying
ahamakara.  Such a person is a jnani and knows Brahman without illusions.