[Advaita-l] Why can't it be done by some learned scholars?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 01:17:20 CDT 2015

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 11:44 PM, Santosh Rao via Advaita-l <

> NamaskR,
>
> What were these 72 sects? it is my understanding that sankaracharyas
> philosophical opponents were mainly buddhists, jains, and mimamsikas not
> muslims. Is this incorrect?

In this URL containing the Anandagiriya Shankara vijaya, on pdf p.12
onwards you can see a list of schools that are refuted. One can count at
the most 50 there.

> What is the answer to the assertion that advaita vedanta is a philosophical
> "compromise" with buddhism? Does this claim hold water?

You can read a six-part series of articles on the topic: Buddhism, Advaita
and Dvaita published in this forum.  For the first part here is the URL:

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2011-May/027302.html

You can locate the other parts too by suitably searching.

regards
subrahmanian.v