[Advaita-l] Dvaita Vaada - Vadiraja Teertha's Nyayaratnavali Slokas 310 - 314 Pativrataa Stree

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue May 5 05:07:28 CDT 2015

Very nice reply.  One can add these two examples:

बृहदारण्यकोपनिषद्भाष्यम् । द्वितीयोऽध्यायः । प्रथमं
ब्राह्मणम् । मन्त्रः २० - भाष्यम्

अत्र च सम्प्रदायविद आख्यायिकां सम्प्रचक्षते — कश्चित्किल राजपुत्रः जातमात्र
एव मातापितृभ्यामपविद्धः व्याधगृहे संवर्धितः ; सः अमुष्य वंश्यतामजानन्
व्याधजातिप्रत्ययः व्याधजातिकर्माण्येवानुवर्तते, न राजास्मीति
राजजातिकर्माण्यनुवर्तते ; यदा पुनः कश्चित्परमकारुणिकः राजपुत्रस्य
राजश्रीप्राप्तियोग्यतां जानन् अमुष्य पुत्रतां बोधयति — ‘न त्वं व्याधः,
अमुष्य राज्ञः पुत्रः ; कथञ्चिद्व्याधगृहमनुप्रविष्टः’ इति — स एवं बोधितः
त्यक्त्वा व्याधजातिप्रत्ययकर्माणि पितृपैतामहीम् आत्मनः पदवीमनुवर्तते —
राजाहमस्मीति । तथा किल अयं परस्मात् अग्निविस्फुलिङ्गादिवत् तज्जातिरेव
विभक्तः इह देहेन्द्रियादिगहने प्रविष्टः असंसारी सन्
देहेन्द्रियादिसंसारधर्ममनुवर्तते — देहेन्द्रियसङ्घातोऽस्मि कृशः स्थूलः सुखी
दुःखीति — परमात्मतामजानन्नात्मनः ; न त्वम् एतदात्मकः परमेव ब्रह्मासि
असंसारी — इति प्रतिबोधित आचार्येण, हित्वा एषणात्रयानुवृत्तिं
ब्रह्मैवास्मीति प्रतिपद्यते । अत्र राजपुत्रस्य राजप्रत्ययवत् ब्रह्मप्रत्ययो
दृढी भवति — विस्फुलिङ्गवदेव त्वं परस्माद्ब्रह्मणो भ्रष्ट इत्युक्ते,
विस्फुलिङ्गस्य प्रागग्नेर्भ्रंशात् अग्न्येकत्वदर्शनात् ।

In the Br.up. Bhāṣya 2.1.20 Shankara cites an old parable admitted by the
'sampradāyavits'.  Anandagiri has identified this traditional Acharya as
'Draviḍācārya'.  The translation by Swami Madhavananda is:

A certain prince was discarded by his parents as soon as he was born, and
brought up in a fowler's (hunter) home.  Not knowing his princely descent,
he thought himself to be a fowler and pursued the fowler's duties, not
those of a king, as he would if he knew himself to be such.  When, however,
a very compassionate man, who knew of the prince's fitness for attaining a
kingdom, told him who he was - that he was not a fowler, but the son of
such and such a king, and had by some chance come to live in a fowler's
home - he, thus, informed, gave up the notion and the duties of a fowler
and, knowing that he was a king, took to the ways of his ancestors.

Similarly this individual self, which is of the same category as the
Supreme Self, being separated from It like a spart of fire and so on, has
penetrated this wilderness of the body, organs, etc., and, although really
transcendent, takes on the attributes of the latter, which are relative,
and thinks that it is this aggregate of the body and organs, that it is
lean or stout, happy or miserable - for it does not know that it is the
Supreme Self.  But when the tacher enlightens it that it is not the body,
etc. but the transcendent Supreme Brahman, then it gives up the pursuit of
the three kinds of desire and is convinced that it is Brahman.  When it is
told that it ha been separated from the Supreme Brahman like a spark, it is
firmly convinced that it is Brahman, as the prince was of his royal birth.

We know that a spark is one with fire before it is separated......[one can
read this paragraph too on p-211 for complete benefit of the bhashyam.  The
fire-spark example is given by this very mantra of the upanishad. ]

Apart from this, similar to this, Sri Appayya Dikshitar, in his 'Siddhānta
leśa sangraha' has alluded to the example of Karna.  Karṇa, though really
Kunti's son, was abandoned by her  soon after his birth, only to be found
and brought up by a couple belonging to  charioteer's class.  He grew up
with the notion that he is of this class, son of this couple, identifying
himself as the son of Rādha (mother).  It was only much later in the
Mahabharata war situation he was revealed the truth of his parentage.  Then
he realized himself to be Kaunteya, shedding his erroneous notion of being
Rādheya.

The above accounts will also apply to reply to Sri Vādiraja's objection in
the Yuktimallika that upon the advaitic realization the jīva will attain
svarūpa nāśa (total extinction).  In a Dvaita-Advaita meet a scholar read
out those objections from that text.  A few young Dvaita scholars in the
assembly intervened to say: In advaita there is no svarupa nāśa for the
jiva but only the giving up, shedding, of the erroneous jīvabhāva, while
the consciousness aspect (Brahman), which is what the svarupa is, remains
in tact.  But they went unheard.

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 12:59 PM, Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l <