[Advaita-l] Appayya dhikshitar's attempt for debate with vijayendra thirtha

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 01:38:45 CDT 2015

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Harsha Bhat via Advaita-l <

> Recently  while I was arguing with madhva pandith,
>
>                  He said that appayya dikshitar was always trying to pull
> vijayendra swamiji  for debate over dvaitha and advaitha.But appayya
> dikshitar lost debate always.

As far as I know, there is no documented work on this topic.  In fact many
or most advaitins, even among scholars, do not even know of a person by
name Vijayendra Tirtha.

A scholar living abroad mentioned informally once that he has seen a work
which records a supposed debate between the two and says that Appayya won.
The scholar adds that such accounts of each side claiming victory is not
surprising anyway. Until published we cannot rely on such a work.

> At last getting irritated by appayya dikshita's calling for debate,he wrote
> a book by the name Appayya kapolachapetika ,

I am not sure if the above work is of the stated origin.  I am aware that
there is a book by the dvaitins in retaliation to Appayya's 'Madhva tantra
mukha mardanam.'  The above work could be related to this.

regards
subrahmanian.v