[Advaita-l] dva suparNA

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 14:46:50 CST 2015

Sri Siva Senani,

Great email. Thank you.

Adi Shankara Bhagavatpada has a slightly different but nevertheless
interesting interpretation to the mantra in his Brahma Sutra BhAshyam from
a Paingi Rahasya BrAhmaNa (PRB) context in his commentary on sutra 1.2.12.

To the pUrva pakshi who argues based on PRB that the birds refer to sattva
(the eating bird) and kshetragya, Shankara replies by saying that the
kshetragya here is "not presented here as endowed with such worldly
qualities as agentship and doership" but is "presented as free from all
worldly qualities and identical in nature with Brahman Itself" (Sw.
GambhirAnanda's translation, p.125).

Kshetragya in this context, is Brahman Itself.

Don't want to confuse readers, but thought this was a different reading of
the word 'kshetragya', to merit attention.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan
On 12 Nov 2015 19:01, "Siva Senani Nori via Advaita-l" <