[Advaita-l] Atmajnaanopadeshavidhi

akhanda akhanda at vsnl.com
Tue Apr 5 06:48:10 CDT 2016

Hari Om, sriramji.

Atmajnaanopadeshavidhi is certainly a good prakaraNa grantha. However,
authorship has always been an important topic among Vedantins, since it
is directly linked to the issue of shraddhA.  If I know a text is by
Shri Shankaraachaarya, my level of shraddhA reaches 100% immediately.

In spiritual matters, it is very important to know who has written the
text. Talks by Osho, Brahmakumaris or even modern day adherents of
Saamkhya and Yoga can be very attractive if you don't know which
philosophy is being expounded, and one can easily get misled.

Similarly, even among Vedantins, you should know something about the
background of the author.  For example, whether the author follows
Dvaita or Advaita.  Even in Advaita, different Advaitic writers have
different views of the jiiva, some subscribing to pratibimbatvam and
others to abhaasa vaada, to name but one example.

Hence I consider it important to know who the author of a text is.

_So to repeat the original question: Does anyone know if the
Atmajnaanopadeshavidhi has been written by Shri Shankaraachaarya__?_

Anil Gidwani.