[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

Ramesam Vemuri vemuri.ramesam at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 09:21:05 CDT 2016

Respected Sirs,

My message below is subject to the usual said and unsaid disclaimers like:
I am not an expert; I do not intend to support any specific personality or
his/her views in their entirety etc. etc.

Prof. A. Rambachan in Chapter V in his book "God World and Humanity", 2006
deals with the question: " If brahman is non-dual and limitless, how are we
to understand the status and significance of the world in relation to
brahman? Do we have to deny the world? "

Extensive references from Shankara bhAshyA-s are quoted and he also gives
the reference to a 1996 paper of Shri Srinivasa Rao "Two 'myths' in
Adviata" published in the Jour of Indian Philosophy, vol 24, pp: 265-279.

He says:  “Too much energy has been expended in traditional *adviata*
metaphysics in establishing the so-called unreality of the world. The
world, in itself, is neither illusory nor deceptive. The world simply is.
Ignorance is a human characteristic because of which one fails to apprehend
the non-difference of the world from *brahman*.  In fact, the world, as
non-different from *brahman*, enjoys the same permanency and reality as
*brahman*.  In the words of Shankara, ‘Just as the *brahman, *the cause, is
never without existence in all three periods of time, so also the universe,
which is an effect, never parts company with Existence in all the three
periods’.”

It is quite informative and useful to read the entire chapter for a
thorough discussion of the topic from several angles with many citations.

regards,

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 7:03 AM, H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l <