[Advaita-l] Sringeri Panchanga

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 14 12:38:52 CDT 2016

>Be it so. What prevents us from adopting scientific calculations which give
>us accurate observable positions in sayana  or one of the nirayana
>rasi chakras.

If ayanAmsha and hence nirayana system gives arbitrary positions of planets
even when used with modern astronomical methods, what good does it do us?

On the other hand, if you advocate sAyana system where there is no
ayanAmsha involved, you run into another set of problems. The sAyana system
is off, actually earlier, by a month usually, when you derive dates of
festivals and observances. For example, Shri Rama Navami which happens to
be observed tomorrow, was already "celebrated" a month ago (March 16th), by
the followers of sAyana panchanga. Now, how many maThas are ready for this
drastic change in dates of observances and festivals? We are not talking
about possibility of a day's difference as in the case of sUrya siddhAnta
vs driggaNita, but a month's difference! Think about it.

Anand