[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 03:37:03 CDT 2016

Namaste Srinathji,

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 1:43 AM, Srinath Vedagarbha <svedagarbha at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The jIva misunderstands himself as the superimposed part of jagat, that
>> makes up the body mind sense complex (BMSC), while he is really brahman.
>>

> Jiva does not misunderstands that way, but rather Jiva is the result of
> misunderstanding. Essentially this take us back to the original question
> (Sri.Ramanuja questions in His srIbhAshya) -- who is having avidya? jIva is
> having avidya? or jIva itself is the result of avidya?

jIva is a result of misunderstanding of what? You have to qualify the
misunderstanding. Looks like you misunderstood my usage of
"misunderstanding" as avidyA. I am saying that jIva misunderstands himself
due to the avidyA/ ignorance of his own nature being brahman. (The
so-called original question has been answered very well in the Advaita
Vedanta tradition itself, so I don't want to open another can of worms).

> When jIvatva is BMSC and BMSC is mithya, then what else is left in BMSC
> for you to say jIva is brahman?

This is *not* what I said (that jIvatva is BMSC), but I said jIvatva (that
you quoted earlier as jIvAhood) is an erroneous notion of individuality.
jIva being brahman, brahman is left, which was always there, even with the
wrong notion. When you remove error from jIva-brahman, brahman alone is
left, which was called as jIva. Anyway, I don't face this question you put,
because jIva = brahman. In my analysis of the ardhashloka, the main
sentence is jIvobrahmaiva na aparaH. That being said, jIva =brahma =satyam.
Everything else = BMSC =jagat =mithyA. In other words, after you negate
everything you can, what is left as unnegatable is brahman, which is you.

> Correct way to say is Jiva/BMSC is mithya while only chid part of former
> Jiva/BMSC is Brahman. This is the essence of bhAgatyAga nyAya as applied to
> tattvam asi.

chid is not a part of jIva. chid is the whole. Anyway, what you say is
right that BMSC is mithyA. However, do know that BMSC is jagat and jagat is
mithyA.

PS: I think people find it difficult to understand BMSC=jagat because one
doesn't call jagat that he sees outside himself as his own BMSC, but fails
to see that jagat is some "other" jIvA's BMSC, and jIva being brahman, you
can say that it is brahman's BMSC, or his own BMSC.

gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */