[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

Aurobind Padiyath aurobind.padiyath at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 07:16:16 CDT 2016

One thing that is often forgotten is that there is Only and Only Brahman
 (Atma va idam agraAseed)
Also it is Ekam Sarvagatham SuSukhshmam. So there cannot be two. Ekam eva
Adviteeya.

Now comes to the two terms Brahman and Jagat. Since there cannot be two
both need to be One.
So why the two names? While one is every thing, there is no everything in
reality but in appearance. For whom the two? For the one who knows there is
this Jagat which appears as real to him and also heard about 'a Brahman'
which is everything. But unable to understand the implication of what he
has heard. So he cannot reconcile to the Shastra Vakhya 'Sarvam khaluedham
Brahma'. So the JnAni who imparts the Veda vakhya tatparya to him brings in
a terminology called Mithya/Maya/Avidya for his condition which he accepts
but not without a pinch of salt. The Guru/jnAni uses other explanations of
the Shruti based on the level of his mental clarity called Chttasudhi. Each
of these explanations are called prakriyas or methodology. They in
themselves are not the perfect answer but indicative ones to take the level
of the questioning from gross level to subtlest level from where the
student travels inward to find the Truth in Himself. (Avrtta chakshu,
Amrtatwam ichan"
It is in this process the term Mithya is used to explain his apparent
reality of the jagat. He is being told that the Jagat is MithyA meaning
that which is real and unreal. So he asks how can the same be both at the
same time. So the example of snake on the rope is introduced to tell that
even though at all the three times of past, present and future the reality
is only rope. But your feeling that it was a snake was a Mithya jnana,
which is seeing untruth in the truth. Or unreal on real. This is the same
with Jagat and Brahman. One sees the reality of snake (Jagat ) on the rope
(Brahman) which is all that was there all the time. So when you saw the
snake (jagat), that what was all the time that what you were seeing
was/is/will be the reality of Brahman. In this situation we can say Brahman
and the "apparent Jagat(MithyA Jagat)" both are only Satyam .

Sankaracharya uses the term Jagat Atman in Brhadaranyaka in his bhashyam.
>From the truth point there is ONLY ONE what one sees as also in multitude
is nothing but THAT. The ChAndOgya 7th chapter proclaims this by saying
"Yatra na anya pashyati. ..........

Aurobind

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 17:07 Venkatesh Murthy (वेङ्कटेशः सीतारामार्यपुत्रः), <

Aurobind