[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

Ramachandra Sastry ramachandra.sastry at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 10:01:23 CDT 2016

Namaste,

I have a query on Adhisthana (substratam) of Jagat being Brahman, request
scholars to explain please.

1) When we say the serpent that is seen is only an illusion due to Avidya,
we can determine whether the Adhisthana is a rope or a crack in the ground
by Pratyaksha, Similarly if Brahman were an object for Pratyaksa then we
could determine whether or not it is the Adhisthana for the illusory Jagat,
however, Brahman is not a matter of Pratyaksa at all and only the Jagat is
seen, therefore it might be not possible to say whether it's Adisthana is
Brahman or some think else?

2)  How can formless Brahman be Adhishthana for the illusory forms, because
there must be resemblance between the illusion and it's Adhisthana when it
is not possible to imagine a snake in a shell or silver in a rope, how can
the forms of the Jagat be imagined in the formless Brahman.

Regards
Ramachandra Sastry

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 7:58 PM, kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l <