[Advaita-l] Vishnu as vedAntic brahman in Adi and Sabha parva-s

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 02:17:10 CDT 2016

On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Shashi via Advaita-l <

> With due respect, in the last few weeks, there have been many posts on the
> greatness of Lord Siva, how it is Lord Siva who is the cause of the power
> of the Sudarsana Chakra, how Lord Siva who is the upasana devata of
> advaita, how Lord Siva is the best deity for Brahmins (I believe the last
> was Mr. Venkatesh Murthy's post, with copious quotations from Sri Appayya
> Dikshit) ...and nobody shouted sectarianism then. It's only fair that Lord
> Vishnu is praised as well, right?

The common feature with the posts on such topics that I make is that the
Hari-Hara abheda/Trimūrti aikya idea is also highlighted.  The portraying
of Shiva as Supreme in the Upanishads and puranas/MB is not at the cost of
belittling Vishnu and vice versa.  That is the noteworthy aspect of Veda
Vyasa. There are quite a number of verses from the MB and Harivamśa that
present Shiva as the Brahman with epithets such as nirguna, kāraṇam, param,
...antarātmā... So, there is no need to feel agitated on this.

regards
subrahmanian.v