[Advaita-l] Shankara authenticates Shiva as the son of Brahma

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 13:58:58 CDT 2016

On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 8:07 PM, D Gayatri <dgayatrinov10 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this story present in the critical edition? If yes, can you give me the
> references? Assuming both happen and I read the story, I will respond to
> you further.

I do not know if it is in the critical edition. It is very much there,
however, in this edition:

It is in the Karna parva, chapter 25:

https://sa.wikisource.org/wiki/%E0%A4%AE%E0%A4%B9%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%AD%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%A4%E0%A4%AE%E0%A5%8D-08-%E0%A4%95%E0%A4%B0%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%A3%E0%A4%AA%E0%A4%B0%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B5-025

Because of Sanskrit font in the address, the URL is so long. The entire
story can be read there. Only the relevant verses are shown here:

ततः प्रभृति देवानां देवदेवोऽभवद्भवः।
पतिश्च सर्वभूतानां पशूनां चाभवत्तदा।। 8-25-30a
8-25-30b
तस्मात्पशुपतिश्चोक्तो भवत्वाच्च भवेति वै।।
अर्धमादाय सर्वेषां तेजसा प्रज्वलन्निव। 8-25-31a
8-25-31b

>From then on Rudra was 'Deva Deva' and the Lord of all beings, who are
paśus. Therefore he is called paśupati.