[Advaita-l] Shankara authenticates Shiva as the son of Brahma

D Gayatri dgayatrinov10 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 23:59:56 CDT 2016

I also subscribe to the view that there are Vaishnava interpolations
in the Mahabharata too. One notable instance is when Draupadi is being
humiliated, it is not Krishna who saves her. She is saved by
miraculous means, but there is no mention of Krishna as the cause of
this miracle.

And even within explicit vaishnava sections praising Vishnu as the
supreme, many interpolated verses are present. You can check this for
example, by comparing the Vishwaroopa darshana chapter (of Narayana to
Narada in the Shanti parvan, not the BG Vishwaroopa), and compare the
critical edition with the one translated by Ganguly, that is available
on the net. You will find some interpolated verses added both in this
and the preceding chapter. However, it is of interest to note that
Shankara has quoted this Vishwaroopa darshana twice in his BSB and so
this episode itself is authenticated by him. (You can also check the
Krishna stuti of Bhishma, that I posted earlier and you will see some
interpolated verses over there, when comparing between critical
edition and Ganguly edition).

And I have already posted one more point earlier. The tortoise that
supports Mandara mountain during the churning of ocean, has no
relation with Vishnu. You can check my earlier posts for this. Nor (as
far as I remember) is Parashu-Rama mentioned as an incarnation of
Vishnu (but I could be wrong here). Even the matsya-avatAra is
mentioned as brahmA and not Vishnu, in the Adi parvan.