[Advaita-l] Shankara authenticates Shiva

D Gayatri dgayatrinov10 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 02:15:35 CDT 2016

> There is no such rule that there should be such continuity. The chapters of
> the BG or the BS are themselves open to such a defect. It is only
> commentators that take the pain to show the continuity.

Both BG and BS have full commentaries, and are hence authenticated.
But Shankara did not comment on JU, so the full text is not
authenticated.

>> Verse 2 addresses the topic of
>> Atman. Verse 3 addresses the question of what japa leads to
>> immortality? (Very interesting to note that in verse 3, which is the
>> rudram chanting verse, Atman is not even mentioned)
>

> The very question implies that: Japa of what leads to immortality? Atman is
> the Immortal one.

There is no mention of Atman in verse 2.

> What rule is there that Shankara should quote all the mantras in an
> upanishad? That Shankara has quoted three mantras that too at different
> places in the bhashyam shows that he has picked only those that are needed
> for him. If mantra 3 is not needed for him to be cited, is that a defect?

It shows that the mantra's authenticity is not absolutely established.
Or it shows that the mantra is unimportant from an advaitic
standpoint.

> Where is the rule that all the chapters/sections in a text should be of the
> same size? On the above logic, the chapters 12, 14 and 15 of the BG are to
> be held interpolations. Shankara holds the ch.15 to be the essence of the
> entire vedanta shastra. So, the mantra 3  in JU is the essence of the entire
> vedanta shastra since it is about the means to moksha.

But authentication of all chapters in BG is done by Shankara himself.
No such authentication is there for JU. And even if that verse is
genuine, it is mere arthavAda (this has become my favorite argument),
so it does not imply Rudra as brahman.