[Advaita-l] Dialogues with the Guru - HH Sri Chandrashekhara Bharati Mahasvaminah

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 07:31:21 CDT 2016

Namaste SadAji,
I agree - maybe it was Ishvara's lIla. Hope we learn from it.

What we forget in our sAdhana is that it is the same Ishvara that manifests
himself in all these different names and forms. By speaking ill of one
form, we are speaking ill of Ishvara only. On the other hand, by being
overly attached to one form, and failing to see him elsewhere, we are again
insulting Ishvara, because we are constraining that unlimited infinite
formless One into a form that happens to be the one that we love.

As that enlightened bhakta said,

रूपं रूपविवर्जिताय भवते ध्यानाय यत्कल्पितं
स्तुत्यानिर्वचनीयताखिलगुरो दूरीकृता यन्मया ।
व्यापित्वञ्च निराकृतं भगवतः यत्तीर्थयात्रादिना
क्षन्तव्यं जगदीश तद्विकलता दोषत्रयं मत्कृतम् ॥

Oh Lord forgive me these three errors committed in the past - I tried to
limit you, who are formless, into a form, for the sake of my meditation. In
singing your praises through stutis, I limited you, who are truly
inexpressible. I limited you, who are all pervasive, by seeing you in an
idol in a temple.

I will add one more forgiveness to this list - Oh Lord, when there is
nothing else apart from you , please forgive me for seeing myself as
somehow different from you.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan