[Advaita-l] Shree Krishna karnaamrutam - 2

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 07:08:47 CDT 2016

                                      Shree Krishna Karnaamrutam – 2

Having introduced himself as Shaiva upaasaka, Leelasuka says his mind ever locked in the vision of Krishna to the extent that he sees only Krishna everywhere;  that is, his mind is Krishna mayam. Once it so happened that the Lord appeared in the form of Rama at his door steps. When we do puja, we invite a chosen God to come into the form.  We invoke to come in to this form -  asmin bimbe - mahaganapatim or mahaa vishnum or any other god that we want to pray-  aavaahayaami, requesting the God - please come down into this form – a transcendental form is invoked into transactional form, for the sake of puja.  In essence, we provide the bimba, the form for the Lord to come in; and once He is invited we do all the puja that involves sixteen steps starting from giving Him water to wash, as aarghyam samarpayaami, etc.  After the puja is finished we also request Him to leave also, and it is called visarjana. After visarjana, the bimba that was used for the Lord to come in is appropriately disposed – like the way we appropriately dispose the national flag when it becomes no more useful.  In the case of Leelasuka, once, Lord himself walks in without any invitation, but in the form of Rama. After seeing the Lord, Leelasuka says with all the due reverence, ‘please wait,  before you enter. Can you kindly remove that bow and arrow that you are carrying; but instead can you carry in your hands this beautiful adorable flute.  By the by, can you remove that crown of yours symbolizing as the prince of Ayodyha, but instead can you please put on this peacock’s feather on your head, which is a symbolism of your love for animals? After doing both, you can come in so that I can put my namaskarams to you. Another poet asks the other way - requesting the Lord please come as  Rama and without forgetting your bow and arrow to destroy the fourteen thousand Rakshas that are disturbing my mind. Leelasuka, instead wants to listen to the diving music in his mind not the frightening sounds of a bow.
               vihaaya kodanDa sharou muhuurtam
              gRihaaNa paaNou maNi caaru veNum||
              mayuura barham ca nijottamange|
              seetaapate! tvaam praNamaami paschaat||
Hay! Seetaapate! – Rama himself says people will know me as Seetaapati, while Krishna is called as yashodaa or nanda baala (Radha was later invention). muhuurtham – please, for few moments, kodanDa sharou vihaaya – removing  that frightening bow and arrow, paanou maNi caaru veNum gRihaaNa – please take this beautiful star studded flute in your hands.  And by the by, can you also put on this peacock’s feather on your head (instead of that crown) – mayuura barham ca nija uttamange? After you have done that I will put namaskaaram to you and invite you into my mind – paschaat  tvaam praNamaami.
The following sloka many must have heard without knowing who wrote it. Leelasuka visualizes the Lord Krishna coming in his full glory and beauty as he sees Him as:
kastuuri tilakam lalaata phalake, vakshastale koustubham,
naasaagre navamouktikam, karatale venum, kare kankaNam,
sarvaange harichandanam ca kalayan, kanTheca muktaavaLim,
Gopastree pariveShTito vijayate gopaala cuuDaamanNiH||
Lalaata phalake kastuuri tilakam – On His wide forehead He has red tilakam madeup fragrant kastuuri, vakshasthale koustubham, on His chest He is wearing Koustubham mani which is the seat of mahaalakshmi, On the nose new jewel, holding the flute in his hand which is decorated with bracelet, while the whole body is decorated with sandal-wood paste, and with necklace made of gems, He is coming surrounded by Gopies who have essentially surrendered themselves completely to Him. Seeing that Lord Coming with all glory – Leelasuka surrenders  himself completely taking shelter at His feet – sharaNaagati. He says:
hay gopaalaka! hay kRipaajalanidhe! hay sindhukanyapate!
hay kamsaantaka! hay gajendra karuNaa paariiNa! hay maadhava!
hay ramaanuja! hay jagatraya gurO! hay punDareekaasha! maam
hay gopeejananaatha! paalaya param jaanaami na tvaam vinaa||
One can only surrender to the higher and that too only when one has reverential attitude, and only when one recognizes that that there is no other means available for one’s salvation. Hence Leelasuka recognizing the Lord is kRipaajalanidhe – the ocean of compassion and has in fact has saved in the past jiivas like Gajendra who have surrendered themselves completely once realized that there is none who can save them. Hence Leelasukas says - na param jaanaami tvaam vina, there is nothing else that I know which is higher than you – Hence maam paalaya – please take complete control of me.  Thus he completely surrenders to the Lord of vision.  Once surrendered it becomes Lord Responsibility to take care of his disciple.
Hari Om!
Sadananda