[Advaita-l] karmayoga is better that which type of sannyAsa [was "Why did Krishna said that he was unable to repeat Gita?"]

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 09:08:33 CST 2016

Namaste Venkatraghavanji,

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 7:13 PM, Venkatraghavan S <agnimile at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am not sure it would go against shruti, precisely because if an
> adhikArarahita purusha takes up vividiShA sanyAsa it would lead to anartha
> only. The question becomes whether such a sanyAsa can be called vividiShA
> sanyAsa at all. I am not sure if shAstra makes an ex-post facto definition
> of vividiShA sanyAsa, but it may well do.

Since I replied from my phone earlier on, I seem to have missed the list! I
am leaving my earlier mail here at the tail end for the list. I've also
changed the subject line.

I think I may have misunderstood you before if you're saying that
"karmayoga is better than vividiShA sannyAsa, without adhikAritva". I am
saying the same thing. However, if you're saying that "karmayoga is better
than vividiShA sannyAsa taken to by an adhikAri", that goes against Brihad
Shruti. Since the latter prescribes प्रव्रजेयुः which would supercede
karmayoga instructions.

> Both Anandagiri and Ramaraya kavi also are clear that what is being
> compared is karmayoga with a sanyasa done by a person who is not qualified
> with sAdhanachatuShTaya sampatti and jnAna niShThA.

Yes. jnAnaniShThA or even kevalajnAna is out of question here, since it is
that sannyAsa where adhikAritva/ sAdhanachAtuShTaya sampatti itself is
lacking.

> I am casting my mind back to Swami Paramarthananda's Gita BhAshyam classes
> for this section, where I recall him interpreting karmasanyAsa here as
> vividiShA sanyAsa only. Will go back and see if I can find the relevant
> class.

I don't see anything Swami Paramarthanandaji's would say any different
either, except that vividiShA sannyAsa has to be qualified here by kevala,
meaning adhikArarahita. Else it is against Anandagiri's as well as
Ramarayakavi's interpretation, over and above Brihad Shruti.

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */