[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Works of Sri Vidyashankara

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 13:30:19 CST 2016

Namaste Sunilji,
I'm replying to both emails simultaneously:

1) The vANi vilAs Press, which brought out a collection of AchArya's works
under the aegis of HH Sri SacchidAnanda ShivAbhinava Nrsimha BhArati
svAminah, lists the following as bhAshyas:
1) Brahmasutra-bhashya
2) Isa
3) Kena pada
4) Kena vAkya
5) KaTha
6) PraSna
7) MuNDaka
8) MANDUkya
9) Aitareya
10) Taittiriya
11) ChhAndogya
12) BrihadAraNyaka
13) NrisimhapUrvatApani
14) Bhagavad-GitA-bhAshya
15) VishNusahasranAma
16) SanatsujAtiya

>From the above, the number according to vAni vilAs ties in with the number
referred to by chitsukhAchArya. If there is a bhAshya that is left out from
the list above which can take the place of the gIta bhAshya, please let us
know.

2) Can't comment on language differences between gIta bhAshya and the rest,
would have to see specific examples to opine. If you can provide instances
from Prof. Karmakar's paper to the list, we all can take a look. I'm
suspicious of philological research, but will keep an open mind.

3) Not having read Nataliya  Isayeva's paper, I do not understand in what
context the comment about adhyAropa apavAda was made. This is a common
prakriya across all vedAnta shAstra in general, and not something that is
unique to the gIta bhAshya. Also not sure about the sundarapANDya
reference. If there is a peculiarity about the way it is used in the BGB
which is indicative of sundarapANDya's work, please share that with the
group. Why would that rule out Shankara's authorship in any case?

4) Please can you point which verse number from the GK is supposedly from
the expanded gItA, and missing from the gItA bhAshya?

5) On yAdavaprakAsha, you were questioning the authorship of the ShAnkara
Gita bhAshya based on a subsequent bhAshya by yAdavaprakAsha referred to by
VedAnta deshika. If you do not believe in the first instance that
yAdavaprakAsha wrote a bhAshya, that question of Shankara's authorship on
that basis also falls away.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On 28 Dec 2016 4:54 p.m., "Sunil Bhattacharjya" <
sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com> wrote:

Dear Venkatji,

According Chitsukhacharya, there were 16 bhashyas written by Adi Shankara.
Has anybody tried to identify these 16 bhashyas of Adi Shankara? Can the
Bhagavad Gitabhashya fit in the 16 Bhashyas?

Secondly there is the language style of the Bhagavadgitabhashya, from which
some scholars opined that Bhagavadgitabhashya does not appear to a
composition of Adi Shankara.

Thirdly, why would Adi Shankara write bhashya on the Bhagavadgita of 700
verses when the original Bhagavadgita of 745 verses was available to him,
as we can see the inclusion of thy ajati ada verse from the Bhagavadgita in
the Mandukyakarika  by Gaudapadacharya.

Now coming to Yadavaprakasha, I still have one doubt, about his writing the
Bhagavadgitabhshya, until some confirmation is seen. Just claiming that
Yadavaprakasha wrote a bhashya on the Bhagavad gita is not worth
accepting.  Ramanujacharya is believed to have seen the Bodhayana-vritti on
the Bhagavadgita, which is claimed to be the guide-book for Ramanujacharya,
but that claim also appears dicey, as nowhere any trace of that
Bodhayanavriti has been found. Swami Vivekananda also tried his best by
searching for it all over India.

Regards,
skb

On Wed, 12/28/16, Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <

 Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] [advaitin] Works of Sri Vidyashankara
 To: "V Subrahmanian" <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
 Cc: "A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta" <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedan
ta.org>
 Date: Wednesday, December 28, 2016, 6:25 AM

 Thanks Subbuji.
 So yAdavaprakAsha wrote a commentary to the
 Brahma SUtra also, one that was
 referred to
 by Sri RAmanuja.

 It's
 clear from this that using yAdavaprakAsha to claim that the
 Shankara
 who wrote the Brahma SUtra bhAshya
 is different from the Shankara who wrote
 the
 Bhagavad Gita bhAshya is not with merit - because
 yAdavaprakAsha wrote
 a commentary to the BS
 too!

 What applies for the
 Gita, applies for the BS too, so shall we say Shankara
 did not write the bhAshya to BS also?

 Regards,
 Venkatraghavan

 On 28
 Dec 2016 1:15 p.m., "V Subrahmanian" <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>

 Venkatraghavan S <agnimile at gmail.com>
 > wrote:
 >
 >> Namaste Sri Sunil,
 >>

 >> Are there extant
 works of yAdavaprakAsha to determine if he was an
 >> advaitin, or if this was simply a
 hagiographical attribution by

 vishiShTAdvaita scholars?

 >> Regards,

 Venkatraghavan

 > Dear Sri Venkat
 ji,

 > Recently there
 was a discussion in the BVP forum where eminent Ramanuja
 > follower-scholars have said that the
 Yadavaprakaśa bhāṣya for the

 Brahmasutras, though not available in its original form, is
 cited in
 > Ramanuja's bhāsya. There
 is a proposed project to reconstruct Y's
 > philosophy from the Śrībhāṣya. The
 discussion also gives room to think of
 >  'Śankara's matam' as
 distinct from 'Yādavaprakāśa's philosophy'.
 So, what
 > hue of Advaita was that of the
 latter is not clearly known to us. But the
 > proposed reconstruction, if it happens,
 would bring these aspects to the

 limelight.

 > warm