[Advaita-l] Is study of Vedanta necessary?

akhanda akhanda at vsnl.com
Mon Feb 1 10:10:46 CST 2016

Sadaji,

PraNAms.

I think Vedanta is necessary but not always necesssary.

A person can attain moksha even without Vedanta, as Vidyaranya Muni has
pointed out in his Jivan Mukti Viveka. So Vedanta is not necessary in
all cases. But that is a very rare occurrence. Attainment of moksha
through Vedanta properly taught, however, is "as easy as eating the
fruit in the palm of one's hand", as Sri Sankara put it in his
Vivekacudamani.

So Vedanta is necessary for most people.

Intense inquiry into the mahaavaakyas which should culminate in an
intense focus on the Brahman within us is the only means to generate the
akhandaakaara vrtti which destroys ignorance and leads to moksha.  This
happens in a split second (since it is very difficult to sustain the
akhandaakaara vrtti amid the changing prapancha). Therefore a
well-defined "moment of self-realization" does exist. On the other hand,
a constant faith or a constant understanding that I am not the changing
BMI but the unchanging witness is not sufficient.

The vrtti that destroys ignorance is necessary, and this is taught only
by Vedanta. Therefore Vedanta is necessary.

My two cents.
Anil Gidwani