[Advaita-l] Is study of Vedanta necessary?

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 23:49:45 CST 2016

Namaste Sadanandaji,

>if one can get the same teaching my any other means, then the mission is
accomplished.

This is the circularity I was referring to. Vedanta says that no other
means are possible.

So how to account for jnAnis who appear to be realised without VedAnta?

There are some brahma sUtra references to VyAsa as a reincarnation of
ApAntaratamas, Sanatkumara reborn as Skanda, Vashishtha, Narada taking new
bodies etc - but their rebirth was because of a divine mission, not because
of non realisation.

In the same way, if we see some examples of great personalities seemingly
attaining realisation without Vedanta, it should be understood as a part of
fulfilling a divine mission, or as avatAras such as RAma or KrishNa, where
Ishvara takes a mAya sharira.

The explanation may not appeal to the rational mind, but the topic is such.
Not all things are /need to be necessarily amenable to reason.

Thanks,
Venkatraghavan