[Advaita-l] A true bhakta

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 22:55:13 CST 2016

 Namaste
 On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 10:29 AM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l
<advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
> A true Bhakta never quarrels about the nature of God. The name or form that
> you assign to God is of no consequence to him, for he knows that name or
> form is not his essence. They exist for the sake of the particular bhakta
> inclined towards it and the divine essence is the same across all names and
> forms.
>
> - Jàgadguru Shankaracharya Sri Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahasannidhanam

This is correct only if the Nature of the God somebody is worshipping
is Saattvika. If somebody is worshipping a Rajasika or Taamasika form
like Demon Mahishasura and eating beef in JNU the true Bhaktas of
Saattvika Gods cannot agree.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/jnu-students-ate-beef-worshipped-mahishasur-police-report/article8249694.ece

Similarly if some God is saying kill all the non believers and you
will come to heaven and enjoy 200 virgins we cannot agree this God is
the same Divine God Ishwara for us.

The Bhagavad Gita has Slokas on Saatvika, Rajasika and Taamasika devotees.

yajante sattvika devan
yaksa-raksamsi rajasah
pretan bhuta-ganams canye
yajante tamasa janah 17-4

Men in the mode of goodness worship the demigods; those in the mode of
passion worship the demons; and those in the mode of ignorance worship
ghosts and spirits.

-Venkatesh