[Advaita-l] Basic questions are also welcome.

Srirudra srirudra at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 09:45:05 CST 2016

Dear
Simple answers are as follows.Advaita stands for non duality.That is there is no second thing other than Brahman.Which is to say that the cause and effect are Brahman only.Duality means there are differences between BRAHMAN and the Jeevas.This duality as observed by us human beings is true says the dualists.Advaita denies this position and emphasises that the jeeva is Brahman only but due to ignorance which is differently called avidhya or Maya jeeva thinks it is different from Brahman.
Equanimity is having balanced views -that is one should not get elated when one succeeds in an effort nor one should get dejected when faced with failure.
Now these things like avidhya,Brahman,Jeeva,Success,failure which I have used to help you grasp the meanings of duality,advaita and equanimity have to be understood by proper study of scriptures like the Gita .One has to start somewhere.Start now and as you go on slowly you will get to know what is what.You can attend lectures by eminent people like Sri Paramarthananda,Sri Tejomayananda ,Sri Parthasarathy.etc whenever an opportunity presents itself.You should have real urge to know what you are after.Then everything is easy.All the best.R.Krishnamoorthy.
Sent from my iPad