[Advaita-l] sarvAtma bhAva as explained by Bhagavatpada

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 10:54:50 CDT 2016

Namaste Sriramji,

advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>:

> शन्करभगवत्पादः while commenting on शीक्षावल्ली - षष्ठ अनुवाक​ (6th mantra
> from shIkSA valli of taittirIya AraNyaka), mentions about the
> "sarvAtma-bhAva" and also the means to attain that.
>
> .......मार्गश्च "सर्वात्मभावप्रतिपत्तये" वक्तव्य इत्यनुवाक आरभ्यते - ....
>
> A detailed explanation is given as how to do a vyAhruti upAsana viz.,
> bhUH, bhuvaH, suvaH
> and mahaH.
>
> By knowing the 4th vyAhruti ie., महः, the one becomes brahman and attains
> "sarvAtma-bhAva".

I am just trying to confirm that you are also saying the same thing as I
have understood when I say: the word ब्रह्म in the quoted अनुवाक means
हिरण्यगर्भ though, since the context is उपासन। Moreover, the attainment of
सर्वात्मभाव here is after death.

> तेष्वात्मभावेन स्थित्वाप्नोति ब्रह्मभूतः स्वाराज्यं स्वराड्भावं स्वयमेव​
> राजाधिपतिर्भवति । अङभूतानां देवानां सर्वेऽस्मै बलिमावहन्त्यङ्गभूता यथा
> ब्रह्मणे । आप्नोति मनसस्पतिम । सर्वेषां हि मनसां पतिः
> "सर्वात्मकत्वाद्ब्र्ह्मणः" ॥
>
> Infact, this anuvAka also covers the yOga-mArga rahasya and Shankara
> mentions the
> subtle nervous system called सुषुम्ना नाडी while commenting on the mantra
> "अन्तरेण तालुके".

Bhashyakara mentions Sushumna in his commentary under Katha 2.3.16 also.

> This mantra, also had a special significance of Shri.Kavyakanta Ganapati
> Muni
> that has lead to his kapAla-bhEdana (व्यपोह्य शीर्षकपाले).

That is interesting to note.

praNAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */