[Advaita-l] loka-aloka mountain

R Krishnamoorthy srirudra at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 03:04:56 CDT 2016

Dears
These names of the regions,mountains,rivers occur in the Maha Sankalpas
made before doing a yagna,yaga ,taking bath in a sacred river or lake or
say changing our sacred threads once a year.These indicate the location
where one is while doing the sankalpa .These macro things do not change but
the time factor-Samvathsaram,ayanam,ruthu,masam,paksham,thithi,Nakshatram
and finally vasaram[this may be a later inclusion to correspond to our
present reckoning] and the specific geographic location may under go change
as Ganga thire or samudra thire.
Why these sankalpas ?My view is to make one conscious of what one is going
to perform or do.He will become focussed.Rituals are intended mostly to
keep the attention on the act.Mind is always drifting-mano dhurnigraham
chalam-to hold it back drifting through the rituals were deviced is my
opinion.About their real existence we can only speculate.We find mentions
of ocean of milk,ocean of sugar cane juice etc surrounding the seven
dvipas.May be some allusions are there..
R.Krishnamoorthy.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 9:28 AM, Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l <