[Advaita-l] Fwd: Dvaita Accepts Body Adhyāsa

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 04:50:29 CDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 6:11 AM, Srinath Vedagarbha <svedagarbha at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In a dream I have a rope-snake illusion.  After the dream I can definitely
>> say: That I had an illusion is also a bhrama.  This is because the dream
>> itself is a bhrama.  There is no anavasthā here since it stops there.
>>

> Correct, in that case nobody will argue for rope-snake adhyAsa and its
> cause. It is simply denied as svapna bhramA. But in the case of adhyAsa
> debate, an argument base don anAditvaM was forwarded. Why not simply say
> all body-self adhyAsa is adhyAsa itself?

Yes, that is what is said, but only with the prefix 'anādi.'.  This is to
keep in view that the ādhyāsika samsāra is characterized by experiencing
happiness and misery for which one cannot trace the cause in 'that'
particular life and the shāstra teaches about the earlier lives.  Hence
anādi is a necessary component of adhyāsa. That is why the shruti says
'anādimāyayā..'

>> In a dream it is not that the people, objects, etc. first appear and then
>> time element comes later; everything appears simultaneously, just like in
>> the waking where an afternoon event is happening in the afternoon
>> setting. There is no ātmāshraya here.
>>

> As said in earlier reply, dream objects are known to be adhyAs outside of
> dream avastha, not while in it. No value in argument in saying dream
> objects are adhyAsa while in dream itself. This indeed is atmAShrya flaw.

The dream analogy has to be properly understood. That 'time' is also a
component of dream, along with the other things there, is realized only
when one comes out of dream. Since the dream is viewed while in the waking,
there is no ātmāśraya.