[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda - eka jeeva vaada

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 14:12:04 CDT 2016

Namaste,

On 11 Jun 2016 11:47 a.m., "H S Chandramouli" <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Reg  << ज्ञानाध्यास, and not अर्थाध्यास - the two always occur together,
I haven't encountered a situation where one exists but not the other.>>.

> Not so. The two can exist separately.

The PanchapAdika VivaraNam speaks of the simultaneous occurrence of
jnAnAdhyAsa and arthAdhyAsa :

"(ArthAdhyAsa)...accounts only for the superimposition of the object.
Padmapada now begins to explain the definition with reference to
'jnanadhyasa' also. But when we admit one of these 'adhyasas', the other
too is automatically implied. As such why should there be a separate
explanation for jnanadhyasa' (superimposition of the cognition)? Even
though when one of the two adhyasas is established, the other too is
implicitly established, yet the definition of 'arthadhyasa' cannot cover
the cases of 'jnanadhyasa'. Hence a separate explanation is given."
(PanchapAdika VivaraNam of PrakAshAtma Yati, Rendered into English by PS
Sastri, pp 61-62)

Regards,
Venkatraghavan