[Advaita-l] Crossing death is not immortality

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sun Jun 26 13:12:10 CDT 2016

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016, ravi chandrasekhara wrote:

> Then how does one "obtain Gyana " ?
> Performance of svadharma, nitykarmas, doing good deeds, avoiding bad deeds ,
> and follwoing yamas/niyamas surely help but what is needed for self
> realization to end cycle of birth and death ?
>
> One can try to remain equal to joy and sorrow as much as humanly possible
> and one can "intellectually" comprehend the fallacy of maya, samsara, etc
> but that that is not real Gyana.

Perhaps "obtain" is the wrong word.  Jnana is the knowledge that you are
nothing else but the eternal imperishable Brahman.  No being, human or
divine can give that knowledge nor can they take it away.  But by
performance of nitya and naimittika karmas without regard to the phala we
can remove the veil of maya which prevents that jnana from shining forth.