[Advaita-l] Nyayasudha Objections 1

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 11:35:16 CST 2016

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 5:44 PM, Bhaskar YR via Advaita-l <

> praNAms Sri Ananda prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> If the absolute brahman (nirvishesha / nirguNa / nirupAdhika brahman) is
> not graspable / reachable  by any upAdhi-s (karaNa-s) and even shAstra
> (shabda pramANa) then what is the proof that it exists??

The first pramana for the existence of Brahman comes from the Veda itself:
'asti ityeva upalabdhavyah....tasya bhvaḥ prasīdati' says Kathopanishat.
One should start by first taking Brahman to be, 'It exists' (on the shāstra
pramāṇam) and only to such a person  Brahman will reveal itself.

Also, the Taittiriya says: asanneva sa bhavati asat brahmeti veda chet.
asti brahmeti ched veda, santam enam tato viduriti..He who says 'Brahman is
non-existent', himself becomes non-existent (that is, he becomes unfit to
aspire for any purushartha, says Shankara). He who knows, ultimately by
aparoksha jnanam, 'Brahman exists', he is seen as a satpurusha by other
jnanis.

'Shraddhatsva somya' says Chandogya. Shraddhāvān labhate jnānam says the
BG.  So, it is by shraddhā in the shāstra/guru vākya that 'brahman exists'
one starts and his spiritual journey ends by his realizing himself to be
That.

regards
vs