[Advaita-l] Nyayasudha Objections 1

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 13:07:53 CST 2016

The advaita position is that bheda vAkyas in the shruti are not to be taken
as pramANa for bhedatvam.

1) For any means of knowledge to be a pramANa, it has to reveal things that
are not previously known. That there is bhedA is well known through
everyday experience. One does not need the vedA to tell us that fire is
hot, it is knowable via pratyaksha. Similarly we experience bhedA everyday,
and therefore we don't need the vedA to tell us that bhedA is satyam.

2) Further, if vedA was a pramANa to reveal bhedatvam, then those cultures
that did not have vedA, would all be advaitins, as they would have no means
of knowing that bhedA is there. That is clearly not the case, every culture
around the world only talks about bhedA.

Therefore vedA's tAtparyam cannot be bhedA. However, there is no other
means to know about abhedatvam other than shruti. Hence vedA's pramANatvam
is only possible when abhedA vAkyAs are taken as pramANam.

Your second point about vAchyatva of padas needed for a vAkya to be
arthavAda is irrelevant. We are not saying abheda vAkyas  are arthavAda. It
is abheda vAkya that have padAs referring to an avAchya brahman. Bheda
vAkyas have padAs that have vAchyatva, so by your own rule, they can be
arthavAda.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan
On 11 Mar 2016 5:23 p.m., "Srinath Vedagarbha via Advaita-l" <