[Advaita-l] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 00:09:06 CDT 2016

In that link here is a part:

// In due order, having been first a hut-dwelling ascetic (Kutichaka), he
reaches the stage of a mendicant monk (Bahudaka); the mendicant monk
attains to the stage of a Hamsa ascetic; the Hamsa ascetic (then) becomes
the highest kind of ascetic (Paramahamsa). (In this stage) by introspection
he realizes the entire world (as non-different from his Self); renouncing
all personal possessions in (a reservoir of) waters, (such things as) his
emblematic staff, water pot, waist band, loincloth that covers (his
privities) and all ritualistic duties enjoined on him (in a previous
stage); becoming unclad (lit. clothed by the points of the compass);
abandoning even the acceptance of a discoloured, worn out bark garment or
(deer) skin; behaving thereafter (after the stage of the Paramahamsa) as
one subject to no mantras (i.e. performing no rituals) and gives up
shaving, oil bath, the perpendicular mark of sandal paste on the forehead,
etc. //

>From the above it is clear that there are four stages of renunciation and
the fourth, turiya, is Paramahamsa. The Avadhuta stage is beyond, atīta,
the turiya (paramahamsa).  Hence it, the Avadhuta stage, is termed
'turiyatīta.'

Beyond the above I could not find anything in that upanishad that
corresponds to the word 'turiya' and 'atita'.

regards
subrahmanian.v