[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 06:36:39 CDT 2016

In the Chandogya bhashya 3.14.1 for 'tajjalān' we have the sentence:

एवं ब्रह्मात्मतया त्रिषु कालेष्वविशिष्टम्, तद्व्यतिरेकेणाग्रहणात् । अतः
तदेवेदं जगत् । यथा च इदं तदेवैकमद्वितीयं तथा षष्ठे विस्तरेण वक्ष्यामः ।

//The world is non-different from Brahman, as Brahman, in all the three
periods (past, present and future), as 'apart from brahman' the world is
not experienced'.  Therefore, this jagat is Brahman itself. This we shall
demonstrate in the sixth chapter.//

Here, the reference to three periods of time is from the vyavaharika point
of view since for all ajnanis, till they become enlightened, the world will
continue.  This nityatvam is admitted in Advaita to account for samsāra.

That the 'world is brahman itself' is to be understood as 'bādhāyām
bāmānādhikaraṇyam' as per Shankara's example in the BGB 4.24: 'that which
is (wrongly seen as) silver is really the shell alone.'