[Advaita-l] New topic for Discussion - Religion vs Spirituality

Nithin Sridhar sridhar.nithin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 22:49:37 CDT 2016

This separation in my understanding is a western construction. West loves
to create categories! From Dharmic perspective, all life is sacred and
hence is both religious and spiritual. Dharmic framework only has divisions
like Vyavaharika and Paramartika, Laukika and Adhaytmika and none of these
terms has any exact equivalents in english as such.

<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 8:40 AM, kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l <

> PraNAms to all.
>
> What is the difference between Religion vs Spirituality? Are the
> complimentary or sometime contradictory. Should one has to be Religious
> (whatever that means?) to be spiritual and for one to follow spirituality
> should one has to be religious.
>
> The question is raised since I see in some posts in facebook that Religion
> is a problem or is causing lot of problem in the very practice and can even
> be obstruction for spirituality. I have also seen many who spend lot of
> time in daily religions practices and not interested in Vedantic study.
>
> Hari Om!
> Sada

Nithin S,
Staff-Writer,