[Advaita-l] New topic for Discussion - Religion vs Spirituality

Ryan Armstrong ryanarm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 03:51:56 CDT 2016

PraNams

The second question is more easily answered - Yes!
For the simple reason that the guru has shed all ignorance and speaks as
the Lord.
He (She) is a direct contact with the Supreme.

For the first question, I can certainly say that the Vedanta is the purest
expression of Truth available to us.
I have come across other teachings which advance the advaita concepts -
Plato for instance - but these traditions do not have the unbroken line of
Masters which Advaita Vedanta has.
Plato used a technique called "dialectic" which is a form of question and
answer.
The simple rules are that absolute honesty is required and that one should
never be attached to a position but rather be grateful when an erroneous
idea is pointed out.
Plato's teacher, Socrates was famous for his humility in this respect.
The technique allows the mind to fall still and the Spirit to shine forth
and I have had the experience of Unity when practicing it.

Another tradition is that of Lao Tzu. The Dao De Ching is again an
expression of Truth - I quote the beginning form memory (so please excuse
any errors):
"The Dao which can be spoken is not the True Dao; The name which can be
named is not the Eternal Name."

As I said in the previous post, Christ taught advaita and this is most
evident in the "Gospel according to Thomas" which is one of the famous
"Dead Sea Scrolls" and not included in the Bible. (Originally there were
over 20 Gospels, but only 4 were chosen when the "official" New Testament
was compiled.  This, in my opinion, is an example of politics interfering
with religion)

Having said all that, it may be possible to achieve Realization without the
Vedanta.
After all, the one Self only exists and we all have Him as our essence
regardless of tradition.
But the statement of Truth in the Upanishads coupled with the vehicle of
Sanskrit makes the Vedanta (in my opinion) supreme amongst all Scripture.

Yours in Truth
Ryan

On 23 March 2016 at 10:22, kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l <