[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 07:52:48 CDT 2016

Namaste Venkatraghavanji,

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 2:55 PM, Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <

> When you asked the initial question "why is jagat mithya", we mistakenly
> assumed you and us had the same definition of mithyA. However that doesn't
> seem to be true, because you go on to say:

This is exactly what I have been saying in almost all my mails to
Bhaskarji, as to it being the very definition of mithyA!

> <<In this way, the AdhAra for both vyAvahArika and prAtibhAsika satyam-s is
> nothing but that parabrahman only hence it is called prAtibhAsika and
> vyAvahArika satya not mithyA.>>
>
> Can you please succinctly define what you mean by mithyA, so that we can
> revisit your question if need be?

In my first response to him, I said that I do not disagree with him, as
that is what will go well with ajAta vAda. However, nor do I agree with the
words in which he asserts that jagat is satya. That agreement and
disagreement at the same time is also sort-of mithyA! :) He is holding onto
the adhiShThAna being brahman that no one disagrees with, and asking: how
can jagat be mithyA then? With that question, there is nothing left to
negate, including the body-mind -sense complex which is part of jagat, and
the entire neti neti prakriyA is thrown out, like baby with the bath water.

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */